• A National Senior Certificate (NSC) with Diploma admission- A minimum of 30 % for English coupled with a minimum of 40% for four x 20 credit subjects is required; OR
• A National Certificate (Vocational) NC(V) with Diploma admission – A minimum of 50 % in English on either First Additional Language or Home Language level AND Mathematics or Mathematical Literacy AND Life Orientation – a minimum of 60% in the three compulsory vocational subjects is required; OR
• A Senior Certificate (SC) (without endorsement) or equivalent– A minimum of five subjects must be passed; OR
• Alternatively a Higher Certificate (or equivalent) or Advanced Certificate in a cognate field may satisfy the minimum admission requirements to diploma studies.
If a Higher Certificate (or equivalent) or Advanced Certificate is not in a cognate field, then at least 20 % of the credits of such qualification must relate to academic literacy or academic skills in order for an applicant to be admitted to diploma studies. Such applications will be reviewed by the relevant HoF at The IIE CAT in collaboration with the Registrar.
If you are an international student, you must ensure that:
• you have an equivalent qualification to the aforementioned;
• your equivalent qualification is evaluated by the South African Qualifications Authority (SAQA);
• you have a valid study visa issued in the name of The Independent Institute of Education (The IIE) that covers the duration of your studies.
Mature Age Exemption:
• Candidates must have attempted the Senior Certificate, attained the age of 23 before or during the first year of registration with three years’ work experience and proven ability relating to the proposed programme as well as adequate communication skills; OR
• Candidates must have attained the age of 45 before or during the first year of registration.
Recognition of prior learning (RPL)
Candidates can demonstrate suitability for admission in terms of Senate’s resolution 6.6 of 20 October 2005 which allows for Senate’s discretionary conditional admission (if applicable).
Please note, requirements for entry to this qualification are correct at the time of printing, however, these may change. At the time of registration, please check that the entry requirements have not changed.