Mountain Biking (MTB) is an exhilarating sport offered at most of The IIE’s Varsity College campuses. With talented and enthusiastic Club Captains overseeing these clubs, this sport is enjoyed by beginners, advanced and experienced riders alike. Equipment – including bikes and helmets – is available at each campus for new riders who don’t yet have their own gear. The club participates in a number of events such as the USSA cycle tour, national NTB series and many more. Experienced and social MTB club members are encouraged to join the Varsity College MTB Club on STRAVA, the online mobile fitness tracking app, where you can compete against members from your own campus club or with students from around the country. Weekly and monthly prizes are up for grabs – making it both fun and competitive at the same time.
Be in the race for a bursary worth R50 000 to the IIE’s Varsity College
The Independent Institute of Education's (IIE) Varsity College will be awarding a R 50 000 bursary to one rider in the U23 category of the GO!Durban100 mountain bike Race on Sunday, 8 September 2019. The GO!Durban100 is a brand new CSA-Sanctioned mountain bike race on the KZN race calendar and will feature some of the most pristine trails and never-before-ridden sections along the Umgeni river between Inanda and Blue Lagoon (100km start is at Giba Gorge Mountain Bike Park). The prize is only open to riders aged 18 - 23 competing in the 100km race and riders must meet the minimum entrance criteria to study an IIE qualification at the IIE’s Varsity College in order to qualify for the prize. The prize is eligible to riders nationwide and the bursary can be used at any one of the 8 IIE’s Varsity College campuses. The bursary recipient will be eligible to compete at the USSA Cycle Tour in 2020, as well as other races as part of the IIE’s Varsity College cycling team.Race entries cost R 350.00 and are available on
www.roag.co.za until 31st August 2019. There is also a 50km (R220) and 20km (R150) option. For more information on the IIE’s Varsity College category prize please contact Travis Hesom at
Bursary category prize T’s & C’s:
- The prize is only open to riders aged 18 - 23 competing in the 100km race.
- Riders must meet the minimum entrance criteria to study an IIE qualification at the IIE’s Varsity College in order to qualify for the prize.
- Eligible riders will be subject to an interview with a student advisor at any one of 8 IIE’s Varsity College campuses nationwide. The interview will assist the prospective student in identifying which qualification would be the most suitable for the prospective student. The interview must take place before the race in order for the rider to be eligible for the prize.
- The prize will be a bursary towards the student’s tuition fees to study a fulltime (contact) qualification at IIE’s Varsity College which is valued at R 50 000 for one person only. The balance of fees must be paid by the student or fee payer. It is only valid for one (1) year of study in 2020.
- The bursary recipient will be eligible for selection to the IIE’s Varsity College Cycling Team for 2020 and must be available to compete for the IIE Varsity College at the USSA Cycle Tour in 2020 and a minimum of 8 races in the IIE’s Varsity College kit in 2020.
- The student will be eligible to apply for sports bursary to assist in funding their studies after year one (1).The sports bursary based on their 2020 academic results and sporting performance. If the student is successful, they are required to sign a sports bursary contract.
- The bursary prize is not transferable to cash and excludes academic material, VC sports club fees, repeat modules, development modules, online or distant qualifications or Short Learning Programmes offered through the IIE’s Varsity College.